If you draw an imaginary line between Budapest through Heves up to Poroszló and another one between Eger through Maklár, Egerfarmos up to Poroszló then in the surroundings of Poroszló you have the location of Kétútköz (say: kate-oot-köz, ö as in blur). These two, centuries-old roads and in-between “Két út köze” (“between two roads”) were mentioned for the first time in 1864 in a record of the Orczy (old Hungarian nobility) estate. Since the 20th century the populated part of this area has been called Kétútköz.
On the road 33 at the exit to Mezőtárkány you can find the hamlet Tepélypuszta. South of it there are vast plains which had been bought bit by bit by Károly Graefl, starting in 1869. Here he set up a farm with buffalos and Simmental cattle, as the national record shows. The opening of the Füzesabony to Debrecen railway, with a station in Kétútköz, enabled Graefl to get his produce to the markets.
A sure sign of the family’s growing wealth was the foundation of the primary school in 1894 by Károly’s elder son, Jenő. Servants’ and employees’ children visited this school and the teacher lived next to it. Until 1913 the school had been financed by the Graefls.
Károly, meanwhile ennobled, passed away in 1896. His younger son, Andor inherited the fields around Kétútköz while Jenő, the elder one got the area around Poroszló. Andor stepped into his father’s shoes breeding buffalos, as the national record states. The modest land house of the family underwent a major make-over between 1908 and 1911. The then 40-year-old Andor had an additional floor plus a tower built thus giving the Manor House its present art nouveau looks. The building had become not only handsome, inside and outside, but it was also surprisingly modern; the rooms were heated with a hot air ventilation system, there were two bathrooms and an up-to-date waste water disposal system.
Andor Graefl died tragically in 1920 but the Manor kept on flourishing. In 1925 there were ten lodges with a total of 179 inhabitants.
The elegant and in the country side exceptional Manor had witnessed a lot of events. In 1932 a first class air fighter pilot of the Hungarian-Austrian Monarchy, Károly Kaszala tried to land his plane behind the buffalo stalls and crashed. The Regent of the Kingdom Hungary, Miklós Horthy visited the family several times. When the head of the family, Jenö deceased in 1933, following his funeral and burial service people gathered for a meal in the Manor House.
After the Great Depression of the 1930s the Graefls of Kétútköz made ends meet by hunting tourism. During the hunting season German, Italian and Belgian guests among others were renting the Manor House. The then most famous of them was the engineer and millionaire Charles E. Bedaux who invited Edward, Duke of Windsor and his wife in 1937. The personnel of these illustrious guests were accommodated in the Manor House and the hunting took place in the fields of Kétútköz.
On 7th November 1944 the withdrawing German-Hungarian army run into the forward marching Red Army, resulting in the dramatic battle of Kétútköz.
After 1945 the Graefl fields had been nationalised and in 1950 the family was evicted. Initially, Kétútköz with its Manor House and surrounding lands had become part of the so called National Farm of Füzesabony. Later, in 1972, after Poroszló’s loss of fields due to the creation of Lake Tisza, the Manor House and its lands were added as compensation to the agricultural cooperation, called Hungarian-Soviet Friendship. From 1976 onward the by then decaying House had been in use as a sewing shop. The entire Manor went up for sale in 1990. It took almost a quarter of a century till we, the present owners, entered the front door in 2013.